Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

How To Get Your Temporary Driver's License

I just got my student permit this Monday from the LTO branch in San Fernando Pampanga. I got there around 8:30 am and got my temporary driver's license (TDL) about 10:30 am. It was not a breeze, but I was expecting it to take much longer than two hours. And considering that it was a Monday - the day of the week when government offices receive the bulk of public transactions -  it was fast, although not sweat free. Maraming tao at yung isang ceiling fan di umaandar. Anyway, I hope this will help you along.

STEP 1. Get your application form from Window 1. The first thing you need to know is that the downloadable application form from the LTO website is NOT the latest and therefore no longer accepted. I downloaded the form and filled it in hoping that I'd be a step ahead. Wrong mistake, sabi nga nating mga Pinoy. Buti na lang nagtanong ulit ako sa Window 1,which is the first step to go through the application process. Sinabi ng atse (that's ate in Kapampangan) na luma na ang dala ko and she provided me with the new form as pictured below.


STEP 2. Fill in the form.

STEP 3. Submit the completed form to Window 5 (Evaluation of Student Permits). Make sure that you have with you your original copy of your IDs and birth certificate for verification. Mas maganda kung NSO-issued  ang birth certificate at kasama yung official receipt (OR). In  my case, hindi na nila ako hiningan ng ID when the evaluator saw the receipt. Make sure also that before going to LTO you have your documents properly photocopied, including the OR. Kasi yung photocopy kong dala medyo putol sa dulo yung birth certificate so pina-photocopy ulit sa akin.  After submission, you'll be told to have a seat and wait for your name to be called. Take note, if you don't have a BIR Tax Identification Number (TIN) just say you're unemployed; however, make sure that you don't fill in the lines asking for your employer's info. Sa kaso ko, I lost my TIN ID and the girl behind the window informed me that I don't have to write down my TIN. Very helpful and courteous yung evaluator, lucky for me.

STEP 4: If all is ok with your application form and documents, your name will be called to Window 7 for your picture to be taken (say cheese!) and then your electronic signature. Then sit down and wait again.

STEP 5. Cashier. Your next call will be to Window 8 (I think) for payment. You'll be asked to pay Php317.63 (round off to 318 syempre). Tapos upo ulit.

STEP 6. Then you'll be instructed to go to Window 9 for the finished product (yehey!). But wait, there's more! Be ready with your crisp 20-peso bill for your TDL plastic holder. Like the color or not, you'll be told to pay for it. Hindi na ako umangal kasi mura lang naman.

Your cutesy TDL plastic holder for Php20
GOOD TO BRING: Don't forget to bring a pen to fill in the form - the office does not provide pens.  A fan and bottled water, especially if you go there during the hot months. Any reading material (book, newspaper) can be handy in beating boredom, which I forgot to bring along. Cellphones and other gadgets will keep come in handy too.

GOOD TO KNOW: The student permit is valid for one (1) year from date of issuance. Mine was issued January 28, 2013 and will expire (hopefully not along with me) 1/28/2014. I was told I can apply for a non-professional license after one month from the issuance of my student permit.

By the way, fixers still abound despite Asec.Virginia Torres' press release that LTO is now fixer free.


No comments: